Calhoun County Health Department
Calhoun County was created in 1854 from parts of Baker and Early counties and was named for Senator John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, who had resigned as Vice President of the U.S. in 1832 so that he could return to the Senate to debate Daniel Webster on states' rights.
The Arlington Methodist Church, located in the county, was built in 1908 and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by Columbus architect T. Firth Lockwood, Sr., using the Romanesque style of architecture.
Agriculture dominates the county's economy, with more than 50 percent of its land designated prime farmland by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.