Grady County Health Department


Peggy Connell, Director
1030 Fourth Street, SE
Cairo, GA
39828
(229) 377-2992 / 2172
Fax (229) 377-4544
Hours of Operation  8 a.m. - 5 p.m. M - F
Some service hours may vary

Programs and Services

Restaurant Inspections

History*

Grady County was created in 1905 from portions of Decatur and Thomas counties. It was named for Henry W. Grady, who was editor of the Atlanta Constitution and an advocate of the New South.Cairo, the county seat, was named for either the city in Egypt or the town of Cairo, Illinois. The city's name, however, is pronounced "Kayro." Whigham is the county's only other incorporated municipality.

Accounts of Hernando DeSoto's trek through the Southeast in 1540 indicate that he entered Georgia in what is now Grady County.