Dougherty County was created in 1853 from part of Baker County. Georgia’s 102nd county was named for Charles Dougherty of Athens, a judge of the Western Circuit and a popular advocate of states’ rights.
The only incorporated community in the county is the county seat of Albany. The city is named for the New York State capital.
Radium Springs is located within the county just south of Albany. The springs are the largest in Georgia, discharging 70,000 gallons of 68 degree water each minute. The springs received its current name in 1925 when tested spring water was found to contain traces of radium isotopes.