South West Georgia Public Health


Health Departments

Mitchell County Health Department

 

Mitchell County was created from Baker County in 1857. The Act creating the county noted that it was named after General Henry Mitchell, who had been a state senator from Warren County, president of the Senate, a presidential elector, and commander of the Georgia troops after the Revolutionary War. The widely held view among historians, however, was that the county was named for General David B. Mitchell, who was twice governor of Georgia.

Sites listed within the county on the National Register of Historic Places include the downtown districts of Camilla and Pelham, as well as the residential historic district of Baconton.

X

Storm Relief Information - Click Here

¤